2. Complete the required International Student Supplemental form FSA-4 (Student Financial Statement).
3. A separate bank statement on bank letterhead should be submitted along with the FSA-4 form showing funds of at least $24,957 USD available for the student. This number is based on the cost of one year's tuition, fees and housing since we issue your I-20 for a whole academic year.
4. Submit a copy of your passport biographical page or green card.
5. Submit the non-refundable application fee is $50. Upon receiving your complete application, details on how to pay this fee will be provided.
**Please make sure to include all items in your application packet; an incomplete application will not be considered for admission. A $50 application processing fee applies to all incoming applications.
**A student must prove they have access to a year’s worth of funds before an I-20 can be issued. Your bank statement must show access to $24,957 USD (include conversion if not in USD). Contact our office before filling out the FSA-4 if you have a sponsor in the US that will provide housing and meals for you while studying.
Admissions are accepted throughout the year, but to ensure you have the most time to acquire a student Visa, please submit your completed application no later than July 1 for fall admission or December 1 for spring admission.
* If you are already in the U.S. on an F2 visa or plan to transfer your F1 visa you can be accepted a week prior to classes beginning based on space in the class.
To apply via email: Complete each item on the checklist above and attach all required documents to an email and send to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “ESL Application”.
To Apply via mail or courier: Complete each item on the checklist above and mail a complete packet to the following address:
SUNY Buffalo State
Intensive English Language Institute
1300 Elmwood Ave
South Wing 410
Buffalo, NY 14222
If you have questions about Buffalo State or are interested in learning more about admission to the Intensive English Language Institute, please e-mail the IELI, or call +1 (716) 878-5331.
The International Student and Scholar Services Office helps students make a successful transition to Buffalo State and the United States. To learn more about services for our international students, visit their web site.
Back to Top